Everyone has a moment of forgetfulness from time to time, especially when life gets frustrating. While having a poor retentive memory can be very frustrating, research has shown that diet and lifestyle have a major impact on us. Therefore, here are few tips to improve your memory.
- You need to reduce your sugar intake. This is because eating too much sugar has been linked to many health issues and diseases. Research according to healthline.com has shown that “sugar laden diet can lead to reduced brain volume, particularly in the area of the brain that stores short-term memory.”
- Try to make time for meditation. Meditating will improve your health positively because it is relaxing and soothing. Also, it has been found to reduce stress and pain. In addition, it may increase gray matter in the brain and improve spatial working memory which is the ability to hold and process information in your mind.
- You should maintain a healthy weight for your essential well-being. Obesity affects your cognitive decline, and being obese can cause some changes to memory-associated gene in the brain. Also, obesity is linked to having a higher risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease, a progressive disease that destroys memory and cognitive function.
- Make sure you get enough sleep. When you lack proper sleep, it affects your memory. Sleep plays an important role in memory consolidation, the ways in which short-terms memories are strengthened and transformed into long lasting memories.
- Practice mindfulness. Mindfulness is a mental state in which you focus on your present situation, maintaining awareness of your surroundings and feelings. It helps you to concentrate.
- Reduce your alcohol intake. Consuming too many alcoholic beverages can be detrimental to your health in many ways and can negatively impact your brain.
After trying these tips and you are still struggling with forgetfulness, don’t hesitate to see a doctor.
Read Also: Ways to Overcome Insomnia