What is hard on the outside and soft and white on the inside? Ever heard that riddle before…we know the answer is coconut!
Coconut isn’t just known for good riddles content, or for the number one nutritional drink when lost on a deserted island, it is also known for its numerous health benefits.
Hurray for the Coconut!
Let’s look at some of those wonderful benefits:
• High in Dietary Fiber. Coconut is very high in fibre, comparable to amounts found in other foods like, wheat, oat, rice bran etc. Coconut supplies about 61% dietary fiber! The type of dietary fibre in coconuts contains no calories and is therefore beneficial to the body.
• Coconut helps to reduce excessive weight gain by speeding up metabolism and providing instant energy with fewer calories than other fats. Studies show that people who eat coconut and its products can go several hours without eating and without any symptoms of hypoglycemia.
• Improves Heart Health . Coconut contains healthy short chain and medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) that are essential to good health. MCFAs do not increase cholesterol levels in the body, and as such help to lower the risk of atherosclerosis and protect against heart disease. Coconut also contains lauric acid which is very nutritious to the body.
• Studies show that coconut may help reduce sweet cravings and improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose. The healthy fat in coconut slows down rise in blood sugar and helps to reduce hypoglycemic cravings.
• Low Glycemic Index (GI) is a measurement of how fast carbohydrates raise blood sugar levels. Coconut nectar and crystals have a very low GI of only 35 compared to honey with a GI of 55-83, and sugar with a GI of 65-100. Coconut also assists in relieving stress on the pancreas and enzyme systems of the body, in turn, reducing the risks associated with Diabetes.
• Improves Digestion and many of the symptoms and inflammatory conditions associated with digestive and bowel disorders, by supporting absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids while also providing beneficial dietary fiber.
• Coconut is a good source of instant energy. The body converts coconut to energy and does not store it as fat. Coconut helps to promote healthy thyroid function and helps to relieve fatigue symptoms.
• Coconut contains no trans-fats and it is gluten-free, non-toxic. It also contains antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and anti-parasitic healing properties. Coconut boosts overall immune system.