Breast cancer is typically associated with women and understanding the various parts of the breast and their functions helps people to be more aware of any changes or abnormalities. Therefore, in this article I will be stating the warning signs of breast cancer and what you should do if you spot one or more of these warning signs.
What is a Normal Breast?
It should be noted that no breast is typical. What is normal for you may not be normal for another woman. Some people say their breast is uneven or feels lumpy. So, the way your breasts feel and look may be as a result of your period, having children, losing or gaining weight and taking certain medications. Also, breasts change as you age.
When you Feel Breast Pain or Lump: Is It Cancer?
When you feel a sharp pain in your breast possibly with some tenderness, it may have you wondering if it could be something serious. Breast lump is often the first thing that women and even men notice which triggers a visit to the doctor.
Although, breast cancer generally shows no symptoms in the early stage but here are the few signs to help you identify it.
- Lumps inside the breast or under arm area
- Changes in the breast size and shape
- Pain in a specific area that does not go away
- Prominent veins on the surface of the breast
- Nipple discharge that starts suddenly
- A sore or rash on the nipple
- Swelling, redness or darkening of the breast
- Dimpling of the skin on the breast
- Inversion of the nipple or other parts of the breast.
It is unusual to have lumpy breasts as breast tissue is often lumpy in texture. Lumps that are cancerous usually have uneven edges, usually painless and usually hard. It can also be soft, rounded and tender.
Please, whenever you feel or see these signs, do well to visit the doctor.
Also read: How to Prevent Cervical Cancer