It is said that “cleanliness is next to Godliness.” So today, I’d be giving you few tips on home maintenance. You can’t ignore these tips if you want your home to stay structurally sound, maintain low cost and retain its full value.
In a way, your home defines who you are. When you try to ignore home maintenance, you put your life and home’s structural integrity in danger. Therefore, here are some tips:
- You need to test your sump pump to avoid flooding. Sump pumps are found in the basements and are the last line of defense against floods. Therefore, remove debris from the outside pipe, restart the pump so to test if it’s running and pour water into the sump crock to ensure the pump starts running and pumps the water away.
- Clean the window wells to avoid breakage from water pressure. Window wells let natural light into your basement which provides ventilation. It also keeps the soil away from window fixtures.
- Check for mice nests near wiring. It is not nice living with mice, regardless of where they may be. When they nest in places like your A/C units or near electricity wiring, it can be dangerous. So check for mice in your home.
- Protect yourself from termites. Termites are great treat to wooden homes. Therefore, without proper precautions, you could find yourself steeping out onto your porch and falling through it. You need to know that termites cannot survive sunlight. So you’d find them in the hidden areas of your home.
Read more: How to Have a Beautiful Kitchen
- Make sure your fire extinguisher is working. If you don’t have one at home. It is better to get one. It must be accessible. The safety seal must be intact and the pressure gauge must be within normal parameters.
- Clean your refrigerator regularly. Dirt get stuck to the coils behind the refrigerator and it makes the appliance inefficient. The coils make your refrigerator to cool down. Also, make sure you clean the inside at least twice in two weeks.
- Keep the gutter in good condition. Clogged gutters can overflow.
- Keep the floor clean. Dirty floor can be annoying especially if you have a baby who crawls. To avoid infections, you need to sweep and mop the floor.
- Make your tub sparkle. After days of using the tub, not to mention the dirt and sloughed off skin cells can make the tub look stained. So, mix up enough cleaning soap to wash it.
- Focus on the interior aspect of the home. There are door hinges that give sounds; you need to repair them. Also, pay attention to the loose handles and knobs.
- Lastly, don’t forget to clean your ceiling fan blades, to remove weeds, to trim over growth plant, to repair spoilt window screen and to clean out the garage among other necessary things.
Remember, having a beautiful and wonderful home comes with the responsibility of home maintenance tasks. Make it a habit to make your home clean always.