When looking for the perfect outfit that can go for almost any occasion, then you are looking for a Little Black Dress. A little black dress is an evening or cocktail dress, cut simply and often quite short. Fashion history ascribes the origins of the little black dress to the 1920s designs of Coco Channel. It has since then remained one of the most popular clothing items among women in many parts of the world. It is considered a must-have for fashion-forward ladies.
Fashion observers believe it a “rule of fashion” that every woman should own a simple, elegant black dress that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion: for example, worn with a jacket and pumps for daytime business wear or with more ornate jewelry and accessories for evening. It is a worthy wardrobe investment.
Below are some suggestions for dressing up your little black dress so that you can stand out from the crowd.
Pick the right LBD. The right little black dress can transform your looks seamlessly from the office to a party- all with the addition or removal of the right accessories and complementary clothing. When choosing a little black dress, keep the following in mind. For parties, lunches and events, wear a fitted black shift dress with a slashed neckline. Avoid anything that clings to the body. For office, wear softer fabrics and look great in black.
Choose the right shoes. Dressing up the little black dress with shoes is a significant part of the look because the shoes can provide contrasting colour or style to the dress. When deciding on the right shoe to wear with your LBD, settle for a footwear which is of good quality because people’s eyes will be drawn to them and not your little black dress.
Match your make up. With a black dress, all your accessories should have a colour theme. The same goes for your make up. Make sure your nail polish, eye shadow, and lipstick match your outfit. As an alternative, ensure that your make up highlights the best features of your face and gives life to your entire look.
Accessories to go with your LBD
- A small clutch bag is a lovely, discreet look. Try a dazzling or sparkling colour to spice up your little black dress for the evening.
- Wear pearls. If it’s a shift style dress, pearls and round-toed pumps make for an adorable look
- A well-placed hair bow, floral item, bejewelled hair piece, or simple ribbons can go a long way to making a lovely statement with the little black dress
- If you love wearing scarces, this can make a lovely addition to a black dress. Select a print or pattern that matches with the other additions to the dress and ensure that the scarf is of high quality, such as a silk scarf.
- Add trendy hair accessories to the list of possible dress-ups for the little black dress. For instance, a stylish hat can be suitable for special events.