Cake in a sandwich toaster?
Yes, you read it right!
* 1 cup Plain flour (128 grams)
* 1/2 cup softened Butter /Margarine/ Oil (113 grams)
* 1 tablespoonful Baking powder
* 1/2 cup Sugar( 8tbs or 100 grams )
* 1-2 Eggs
* 30 ml milk or water(more or less)
* 1 tsp. vanilla /strawberry extract or ground nutmeg(optional)
*3 tablespoonful Cocoa Powder/or melted chocolate (optional,but use it if you want a brown cake )
Note that you can make use of any cake recipe, such as the Banana Cake recipe or the Apple Cake Recipe. So let’s get started.
- In a large bowl, combine the softened butter and sugar together and beat/mix until creamy.
- Add the eggs and continue mixing; then add the essence or flavour of choice. Mix thoroughly.
- Gradually sift in the flour & baking powder, mix and add the milk/water , bit by bit, and continue mixing until you get a light consistency, with no lumps.
If you are making the brown cake, sift in the cocoa powder with the flour.
- Now, prepare the sandwich toaster by brushing the insides with melted butter or oil. Close it and preheat for 3 minutes.
- Then scoop in the cake batter into each of the four wells of the sandwich toaster/maker.
Tip: if you want a cake with the shape of toast bread, then fill the sandwich maker to the square mark, but for a smaller triangular cake, fill only the smaller triangular wells.
- Close the lid and leave for about 3 minutes or until lightly browned on both side.
Tip: To check if it is ready, simply dip a toothpick into the cakes; if the toothpick comes out clean and dry, you know the cake is ready, if not, you’ll have to leave it for an extra minute or until well done.
- Now, remove the cakes from the sandwich maker, serve and enjoy.
The cake keeps well in the fridge for up to a week, simply pre-heat in the microwave and it’s fresh again.
Feel free to experiment and be creative with the recipe, you’ll be glad you did.