Balanced diet contains differing kinds of food in certain quantities and proportions so that the requirement for calories, proteins, minerals, vitamins and alternative nutrients is reserved for additional nutrients to endure the short length of leanness. Good nutrition plays a major role in helping you lead a healthy lifestyle.
Therefore, creating and maintaining a healthy eating habit doesn’t have to be hard because a balanced diet should offer 60 to 70% of total calories from carbohydrates, 10 to 12 % from proteins and 20to 25% of total calories from fat.
The Health Benefits of a Balanced Diet are:
- It increases energy, improves body functions, strengthens immune system and prevents weight gain.
- It helps to meet your nutritional need.
- They prevent and treat certain diseases.
- It facilitates connections between individuals.
Read Also: Ways to Overcome Insomnia
How Do You Maintain a Balanced Diet?
- Do not skip meals. When you do, it lowers your metabolic rate. So, normal eating includes 3 major meals and 2 snack meals. Also, never skip breakfast, it is the fore most vital meal of the day.
- Try to keep your meal preparation easy. Eat more raw foods such as salads, fruits and vegetable juices.
- When you feel full, stop! It will help you maintain your weight to an extent.
- Drink lots of water. Water is never enough; so always keep a bottle of water close to you always.
- Try to include variety of food in the menu. No single food has all the nutrients.
- Remove all visible fat from food before you cook it. For example, take the skin off chicken and trim the white fat.
- Limit the intake of stimulants such as caffeine, alcohol and refined sugar.
Balanced diet is important because it supplies the nutrients your body needs to work effectively. Note that, without balanced nutrition, your body is prone to more disease, infection, fatigue and low performance.