If you have recently thought about trying a new diet to shed some weights, Keto diet is for you. The diet’s main principle is maintaining ketosis, a metabolic state that pushes your body to burn fat for daily fuel rather than glucose sourced from carbohydrates.
Originally, the diet is made to help patients fight epilepsy. The keto diet supposedly guides you into ketosis by eliminating some significant food groups that normally interact with everyday activities, items containing sugars and carbohydrates, as these don’t allow your metabolism to use fat as a main energy source.
For those who stick to the keto diet’s plan, it could result in serious weight loss.
What You Can Eat on a Keto Diet
If indeed you are ready for this diet, get ready for a lot of fat, some proteins, and just about zero carbs throughout the day. So, during this diet you can eat:
- Plenty of Meats: chicken, pork, steak, ground beef, lamb, bacon, turkey and sausage. However, in limited amounts.
- Fatty Seafood: salmon, snapper, tuna, cod, trout, catfish and scallops.
- Shellfish: crab, clams, oysters, and mussels
- Most Fats and Oils: eggs, butter, coconut oils, olive oil, avocado oil (plenty avocado) and mayonnaise.
- High-fat Dairy: heavy cream, soft and hard cheeses, cream cheese and sour cream.
- Selection of Vegetables: cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, green beans, peppers, eggplants, onion, mushroom, spinach, lettuce and cucumber.
- Nuts: almonds, pecans, hazelnuts and walnuts.
- Selection of Berries: blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.
- Some Beverages: unsweetened coffee, black tea, dry wine and champagne.
What You Can’t Eat on a Keto Diet
While you note what you can eat, it is also important that you know what to avoid on keto diet. It is a very long list however some of them are:
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, watermelon, peaches, melon, pineapples, and cherries.
- Most grains: rice, wheat, oats, corn, millet, barley among others.
- Starches: bread, pasta, rice, cereal, popcorn, pizza, flour, crackers and corn.
- Legumes: kidney beans, black beans, peas, chickpeas, soybeans, and pinto beans.
- A Selection of Cooking Oils: conola oils, soybean oil, peanut oil, sesame oil and sunflower oil.
- Sweet Treats: Candy, chocolate, cakes, pastries, pies, ice creams, cookies and custard.
Others are alcohol, bottled condiments and low-fat dairy. So basically, you have to avoid sugars and starches.
Finally, make sure you consult your doctor before embarking on any extreme weight loss plan.