Everyone at one point in their life felt very insecure. Whether they were insecure about their look, or their weight or the way they speak, the list is long. While some prefer to mask their insecurities and deny it exists, a few others allow it get the best of them. The best thing to do is to deal with it head on so that it doesn’t ruin your life on the long run. If you’re willing to deal with your insecurities, here’s how to go about it.
- START LOVING YOURSELF:Insecure people find it very difficult to love themselves, and this takes time and practice. Start by focusing on the things you do like about yourself, your successes and achievements. Look in the mirror and compliment yourself. Try to keep any negative thoughts at bay. It takes focus and concentration, but if you keep practising you find it easier. Slowly but surely, you start to believe it too.
- SELF PEP TALKS WILL ALSO HELP:Giving yourself a firm talking to often helps. So many insecurities are totally unfounded, so start to be a bit tougher on yourself. If you feel those negative thoughts coming, give yourself a good, inspiring pep talk. Then distract yourself, or just get on with it!
- NEVER COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS:Stop comparing yourself to other people. Everyone is different. You might feel like you aren’t as successful/pretty/rich/happy as other people, but comparing yourself to them only makes you feel bad. Instead, focus on what you want. Work out how you can get there.
- ACKNOWLEDGE THAT LIFE DOESN’T REVOLVE AROUND YOU:Being insecure can be a little selfish. If you get too caught up in your own insecurities, you start to become rather self-obsessed. Remember there are other people out there, don’t neglect them, and know not everything that happens is all about you!
- FIND FRIENDS WHO’D SUPPORT YOU:Surround yourself with people who support you. Not people who pander to your insecurities, but those who help you when things are difficult, provide you with tough love when you need it and support you while you try to get better.
- YOU’D FEEL INSECURE SOMETIMES, ACCEPT IT:It’s very hard to get rid of your insecurities altogether. They just don’t have to take over your life!